One of the great things about Costco is that you can buy huge bags of frozen unsweetened blueberries for a low price. The bad thing about this is that it takes quite awhile to get through a bag. Fortunately, blueberries pair well with a variety of baked goods, and one of my favorite presentations is this blueberry baked oatmeal. These bars smells heavenly and are a tasty snack or breakfast with a low calorie count.
Blueberry Baked Oatmeal (sugar-free, whole grain, low-fat):
1 medium egg
1/2 C. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C. skim milk
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 C. granular Splenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 C. rolled oats
3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 C. frozen unsweetened blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F./175 degrees C.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk the egg, applesauce, milk, Splenda, vegetable oil, salt, and lemon juice together until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the oats, sprinkle the flour and baking powder on top and mix with a spoon until the flour and baking powder are mixed in and the oats are thoroughly moistened.
- Stir in the frozen blueberries.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set (check with a toothpick or tester).
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, remove from the loaf pan and allow to cool completely before cutting.